Monday, May 28, 2012

Say Cheese

Doesn't that view make you want to just fling some arrows?


I love three day weekends. Stating the obvious, as who doesn't right? Gave me some extra time to play and hang out with some friends I don't see enough.

Was able to snag some new compound gear and get moving on that end this week. Still needs some minor tweaking, but hey, at least I am shooting. Spent some time in the sun shooting 50 and 70 m finally. Felt soooo good to be out there.

Also had the opportunity to learn to make some homemade, from scratch cheese with some archery (and non-archery) friends. See the full story and recipes on Steph's blog. Yes, there were goats involved and I wanted to take them all home with me. Thank you to Sara Turnbull for letting us use your kitchen and giving us the skinny. 

The ricotta in question
My cow queso blanco (fancy-speak for white cheese) turned out fantastic, but the goat mozzerella did something odd and turned into the inedible brick version.  Made THE best grilled pizza ever for dinner, though. It's super easy, so I am sharing the recipe with you. We've trialed and errored our way out of the bugs.

Grilled White Pizza
Oil up some paper towel with vegetable oil and grease up the grates while heating up to 350-400.Turn the middle burner off on a gas grill so you get nice indirect heat.

We're usually in a hurry, so we use the premade frozen version, let it come to room temp and cut in half. Any bigger and it gets too hard to handle.  Work the dough out with your fingers, lay on a peel or a really large cookie sheet.

You can almost smell the garlic...
Sauce
2 cloves garlic, diced fine
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 t salt
pepper

Mix and let sit for at least 10 minutes while the grill is heating up.

Put your dough on your peel and oil it up good so it doesn't stick. Place on the grill face down for 5 minutes.  Pull off the grill, flip and oil up the other side. Flip back over and slather on your now garlicky oil. Add fresh mozzarella, parmesan, and ricotta (used the homemade, drier version from above).

Slide back on the grill for another 4-5 minutes. Watch so it doesn't burn.

Pour a nice glass of white wine and you have dinner.




1 comment:

PinkFletchings said...

I love this! I have also made my own chevre from raw goat milk I milked myself. I miss Willits, CA. I had to comment because I was so excited to see how the cheese bags were hung because that is exactly how I did it too! And with that I think I must stop my marathon for a moment and write my own blog about your blog and cheese and my wishlist. Thanks so much for all the inspiration and laughs for this cold lonely evening (I hear violins playing, pity party - table for 1!) Oooh and I swore up and down I'd never work a night job again (or an assistant editing gig). They tricked me. Actually working nights is just for this week. Can't wait to read more but for now I have to.