Saturday, September 10, 2011

Homemade Always Tastes Better

8 winds on the Thing-a-ma-Jig. Get it? Jig? Sigh.














Ok, show of hands – who here has actually made their own string from scratch? I know at least a few of you out there have. I’m not talking about bowstring mix-in-a-box here, I mean the whole naked spool to string on your bow and shooting arrows recipe.

This week, I got my first how-to in string making. Being the artsy-craftsy gal that I am, it was actually fun aside from the “has to be accurate” part which admittedly I am not so good at. Sort of like taking a test before you read the book. Plus, my technique was more like a cat batting a toy round and round, but hey, it got the job done.


BEFORE bow tuning and new string
- and this was a GOOD target
AFTER - withOUT clicker yet! Woot!

In addition, my bow got a proper tune up and a clicker (eep) this week along with a new 6-week assignment for me. Tested everything out last night at 18 m. Pin comes up to height without pushing it around now, need to check it at 50 m. New string feels great! It's a tad longer and feels more springy. Had the best groups in a very long time and actually kept my target for a change.

Clicker - needs some adjusting and shorter arrows, but I can see the potential of where this is going to be when everything is set up. I still have to stttrreetch to get it to go off. If I could just grow my draw length by a half inch, I'd be all set. But surprisingly better groups even when not using the clicker. Can't wait to get out and practice today. Heck, yeah!

No comments: