Sunday, August 14, 2011

One Year - Gut Check

Out practicing this morning and a hummingbird decided to see if my bright red sight was edible. He didn't seem to care that he was literally only an arm's length away from me. Got right in there for a taste of metal and decided that it wasn't the right vintage. Have never seen one that close up before.

Our rabbits don't seem to care if I share the back shooting lane with them either. There's apparently enough clover to go around.

It's been just over a year since I decided to switch to recurve. The first four or so months were just plain fun and then it got miserable for pretty much the winter as I struggled to remake new muscle memory and get rid of the old ones. They still sneak in there sometimes when I'm not paying close enough attention. This summer has been back to enjoying this, thank god. My muscles are stronger, I'm in better shape overall, and I'm lucky to be working with and around other talented archers on a regular basis. Having someone who can explain the mechanics of the shot sequence and break it down is so important when you are learning something like this, especially when you start refining things. Have regained a lot of lost confidence outside and added some new distances to boot. Will miss shooting for a couple of hours after dinner when the light is not there anymore and I'll have to go back underground for the winter at only 10 yards. Thinking about the indoor season already and what goals I need to have.


No comments: