Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Introducing Cricket

My bow's name is Cricket and it was love at first sight.  Cricket is a white Hoyt and my second bow.

It's not terribly common for girls to pick up this sport as an adult, or to pick it up at all. After spending last weekend shooting the line with all ladies, and what great ladies they were, I keep thinking about why more girls aren't either exposed or encouraged to try this. It doesn't take a great amount of upper body strength, but you do need  a bit of patience and a good sense of humor while you get the hang of it.

You don't see too many white bows, but you do see lots of pink, pink camo and pink accessories. Bow companies sell mainly to guys. Lots of manly blue, red, flame orange and lots and lots of camo. They slap a little pink paint on and think that's all they have to do. They are starting to clue in, but being manly men, they aren't completely convinced they want some cute, bubbly chick to bounce in and make it look easy. Especially if they are having an off day.

This is my third year of shooting and the second with Cricket. We (hubby and I) started at our local club in the Friday night couple's league that ends the season with a candlight dinner. Fancy. Somehow after the first season, I just never stopped. Would go out after work in the backyard and shoot arrows until it got too dark to see where they went. Takes your total concentration, makes you relax and when you are in the zone, you aren't really thinking about anything but aiming.

This is mainly the story of my journey with something new and unexpected. More to come.

1 comment:

PinkFletchings said...

Oh I just love your blog. I just discovered it and had to attempt to find your first post. I think this is it. But, it's late and I'm mostly working. A lot of watching the computer do it's thing. I also started as an adult and not because of the movies but coincidentally right at the same time. In fact with all the movies coming out, I simply took it as a sign that I was on the right path. I look forward to reading your posts. I'm grateful your dared to begin your blog!